
On weekdays breakfast is usually a very hurried affair, cereal, toast or a fruit smoothie, with each of us eating at different times. So at our house dinner is the most important meal for us as family to eat together and catch up on the day. We try to do this most evenings. I usually cook a couple of extra dishes on Sunday evening that takes us through to Tuesday and then I get something simple together, on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, when I get home from work. Friday is our dinner out night.
So here is my dinner from last night (Thursday) – I had some chicken tenderloins, in the refrigerator, fresh basil and grape tomatoes. I sautéed the chicken tenderloins in olive oil with red pepper (chilli) flakes and garlic, then I poached the grape tomatoes in olive oil with garlic and made some basil pesto. I combined the chicken with the grape tomatoes and served it with whole-wheat pasta and the pesto. I served this with a green salad.
Recipes
Chicken Tenderloins with Grape Tomatoes, Basil Pesto and Whole Wheat Pasta
~1½ lb of chicken tenderloins or breast (sliced into strips)
1 pint of grape tomatoes (cut tomatoes in halves)
5 cloves garlic – minced coarsely
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp chilli flakes
2 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
8oz whole wheat pasta (linguini/spaghettini)
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a skillet. Add chilli flakes and half of the minced garlic to the skillet, sauté for about 30 seconds, then add chicken, salt, fresh ground black pepper and thyme and allow chicken to brown. Remove chicken from skillet, turn heat to low. Add remaining EV-olive oil to skillet, add rest of garlic and grape tomatoes, salt and pepper – allow tomatoes to poach/simmer in oil until they get soft and begin to break down. Combine chicken with tomatoes and toss into cooked whole wheat linguini/spagettini with basil pesto.
Basil Pesto
2 cups basil leaves
1 garlic clove
¼ cup toasted pine nuts
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup EV olive oil
Salt to taste
Pulse basil leaves, pine nuts and garlic, add olive oil in batches while blending. Finally add parmesan cheese and salt to taste.
No comments:
Post a Comment